On August 29, the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU) wrote a letter of endorsement supporting the Common Core State Standards stating, "We believe California’s implementation of the Common Core standards and aligned assessments has the potential to dramatically improve college readiness and help close the preparation gap that exists for California students."
Who the heck is AICCU? It is the organization representing the California State University system, the University of California system, and the California Community Colleges. So, clearly they know what they are talking about!
The letter of support goes on to say that they are updating the a-g requirements for CSU and US admission to "to align with the Common Core standards and the message is being transmitted to schools, parents and students". Well...I couldn't wait for them to get the message out, so I'm tooting my little horn and ringing my bell to make the announcement for them. Now parents and teachers can take great comfort in knowing that by shifting our teaching practices to meet the needs of the Common Core Standards, we are doing EXACTLY what the colleges and universities want us to do.
Not that it is a popularity contest, but check out this partial list of other organizations that endorse the Common Core State Standards.
- ACT, Inc.
- Alliance for Excellent Education
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Council on Education
- American Statistical Association
- Bill Schmidt, University Distinguished Professor of statistics and education at Michigan State University
- Business Endorsement Letter
- The Business-Higher Education Forum
- The College Board
- Coalition for a College and Career Ready America (CCCRA)
- Council of Administrators of Special Education (CASE)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council of the Great City Schools
- Hunt Institute
- Joint statement by: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM), the Association of State Supervisors of Mathematics (ASSM), and the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE)
- Military Child Education Coalition
- National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP)
- National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association (NEA)
- National Higher Education Organizations
- National Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- National School Boards Association (NSBA)
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- Presentation by Dr. Hung-Hsi Wu
- State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO)
- The United States Army
What about the mathematics community?
Every major mathematical organization has signed a letter of "strong support" for the Common Core math standards! If the math community has vetted the standards and are supporting them, then darn it, we should support the standards, too!
Whether we are parents, teachers, or students and we find ourselves struggling with the new ways math is being taught, let's remind ourselves that we are not alone! There are many, many organizations that are supporting us and are rooting for us to succeed!